Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Kings & Queens of Africa Series: Part 2

Due to the untimely death of my young husband, I became the regent of my nephew, his successor. I seized the opportunity and donned the double-crown of Egypt, male clothing, and the false beard, declaring  myself pharaoh of Egypt. 


Surrounded by loyal and powerful officials, I ruled for almost 22 years. I shared a special relationship with my royal steward, Senemut. My goal as pharaoh was to expand Egypt’s trade routes. My favorite sea expedition was to Punt. Upon return the ship was burdened with 31 live myrrh trees to be transplanted in the courts of my mortuary temple. Unfortunately, years after I died, my nephew attempted to erase any trace of my reign by disfiguring statues and walls of the buildings I had constructed. Who am I? 


Hint: 


-Material contributed by: Sue Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment