Thursday, July 7, 2011

Famous Kings & Queens of Africa Series: Part 9


I am a king-priest ruling a very rich kingdom with strange and exotic creatures, gold and precious stones, and the “fountain of youth.” Some say I was a descendant of the "Three Magi" and had an emerald scepter. As a Nestorian, a member of an independent Eastern Christian Church, I have no ties to the patriarch of Constantinople. Throughout the 12th – 17th centuries, Europeans tried to find my kingdom, hoping that I would join ranks with them against the Muslims and pagans. Myths about my kingdom and a letter written by me circulated throughout Europe, sparking expeditions to foreign lands, including Africa, India, China, and Ethiopia. Who am I?

Hint: 

-Material contributed by Sue Roberts

No comments:

Post a Comment